Sunday, December 21, 2008

More white stuff

Yesterday's snow was beautiful with the soft large flakes slowly falling down, even if it started falling *before* yesterday and didn't really stop at all yesterday...

Well, today's winter storm warning has the interstate down to one lane from three. There's already another five inches out there upon my awakening this morning. We're slated to get at least fourteen today! And the weather report includes fog. Yes, snow and fog! Eh? So I am canceling my plans to go to a holiday pot luck knitters gathering near Albany today. And, no, I still don't knit, but am currently nalbinding a small doggy coat. (It's a Viking craft.) I was looking forward to socializing, but if it costs me my car or life to get there... forget it! I'll just stay home and finish the Christmas cookies that I am behind on doing since my surgery. Last night I was up nearly all night with the itchy itchy itchiness of my sutures. Ugh! It's driving me CRAZY!! But at least it's healing! yay :)

But I digress, once again. Back to the snow. Dan informs me that those lovely snow banks in the photo yesterday were actually smaller than originally shoveled; Apparently the snow piles were too tall even for the diligence of my wonderfully helpful guys, so Dan pushed much of the snow off the tops and into the yard so my awesome ten-year-olds could continue to shovel!

Now that reminds me of when I lived in Lake Placid. If you are not aware, Lake Placid is in the mountains. The entire town is built on a large hill, except the tourist trap outlets and hotels along picturesque Mirror Lake. The street I lived on was on the backside of the largest hill in Lake Placid; it was a BIG hill too. It was only one-way in the winter, and that was up only, if it was open at all. When it was closed, it was a great sledding hill, as you could hear whilst still in the house the kids shrieking with delight as they flew past down the hill on the road. I would like to add that in the summer, when there was no snow, it was NOT a good place to learn to roller blade either.
When we moved into the house in mid-May it SNOWED. I was running around covering up all my lovely wood antique furniture with towels to protect it. Did you hear it was May?! I kid you not! Well, back to the huge snow banks. The yard was graded so it was flat, and so was the driveway, except there was at least twelve feet difference in height between the two. There was a staircase and a half to climb to get to the front porch from the driveway. We would throw the snow up up up into the yard since there was no place else to put it. Phew! I am exhausted just thinking about it ;) It was a very nice small house, and was one of the few houses on that street to have an actual yard. And the lovely alpine-ness of the area allowed all the great fuzzy green green moss to grow. You know, the kind that grows only so high, but spreads everywhere :) No need to mow during the incredibly short growing season (what is that? three months? lol).

The 13 inch snowman snow measuring stick that Gavin brought home from preschool last year would be quite buried out there in the yard today. Similar to my car keys that I lost in the driveway the day before yesterday... I am not holding my breath or anything, but I really hope I will find them in the Spring!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I think the growing season in Lake Placid is actually only 2 months... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I was thinking people might think I was exaggerating by saying "only a two month growing season"...!

    ReplyDelete