Monday, August 18, 2008

Say hi to Spencer

Friends of ours moved to Maine. I think I have finally have forgiven them for moving away. Well since it's been almost a year since they left the area, I think I have to accept things as they are and it helps me seem more grown up...

So they have pets. One that is never seen and the other is one of the coolest cats I know. And by "cool cat," I do mean literally a cat, stripe-y orange, who acts cool. Spencer's personality is quite charismatic in a spunky sort of way. He's definitely a presence in a room that may be filled with human-people, so I think he's a person in that definition of the word. I miss his personality, but that's not another reason to still be sad about my friends moving away and taking him with them. Ahem, so anyway...

We visited them in January, after a big SCA shopping event called Birka in NH. It was only another two hour-or-so ride north to see them and their new house.

Now, without further ado, everyone please say hi to Spencer.



He's cute, isn't he? Some of you may say, "Yes, he is." While other might be thinking, "Eh, he's a fuzzy orange cat... Seen one, you've seen 'em all."

I personally love, adore, get happy about dogs. It's not that I don't like cats, it is just that I am really really allergic to them (only one allergy amongst a billion others). I can touch one, but have to wash immediately. So the scene is kinda OCD looking when I visit Spencer - you see, he's just so Mr.Personality for a cat (most likely was a dog reincarnated as a cat, hm, Kris?) that I cannot help but partake in the Spencer fun-ness. He fetches! Look! He tries to get you to pet him! He instigates stuff, even! Ok, that is like a cat, but he does do well in trying to get the boys' attention. Good idea for a spunky cat, you may think? Hm, lots of hands and equal energy across species. Spence is most comfortable in one of his home habitats, the kitchen counter, and perhaps may be overly confident, eh?

There are two sides of "the story." Let's look at the concrete evidence (Well in this case it's digitally concrete per se):



Well I am not certain Spence was ready for the Haley invasion into his abode. In his attempt to indicate how great his need was to be pet, Spencer knocks nearly everything over on the counter. Ahem, bunny ears, anyone?



So by sheer numbers (of hands) and (in his mind) an annoyingly high child energy level -- or perhaps the fact that the camera has been in his face for at least twenty photos by this point? (and nearly all are blurry or repetitive) -- Spencer retreats to what is assumed to be a safe place.
See the Gavinator's hand creature there? Poised to strike, I mean, er- pet Spencer again!




No matter where he goes, he cannot hide...







Finally, I note the ado behind the curtain and curtail the commotion quickly. (Ha, I love that :)

It was an awesome visit and have since returned for in April to say hi and hike in the lovely Spring sunshine in Maine. The camera stayed in the car for that visit, on behalf of Spencer's nonverbal request to maintain his sanity.

I am so very much looking forward to visiting during the last week of August while in Hampton Beach, NH to see their new little Bear!!

4 comments:

  1. Now you're talkin my language! As you know, I adore cats (their personality closely match my own), so when I see such a handsome speciman, it warms the cockles of my heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee! You said "cockles" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend the video "The Cat Returns" out of studio Ghibli (Japan). Also, VERY good, although not cat related, are "Porco Rosso" & "My Neighbor Totoro". I am slowly getting thru the others and have yet to be disappointed by the productions out of this studio.

    K (in a household shared with 5 cat personalities...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw another Studio Ghibli job-The Castle in the Sky. Another thumbs up!

    K

    ReplyDelete