Thursday, August 21, 2008

One of my recent hobbies

These past couple years I have been doing wire weaving, also called trichinopoly. It is an ancient Viking craft that (I think) is very easy, but it is very, very repetitive...

Below is a close up of Dan's necklace. I tried to shine it up a bit, but the interior weaving was not touched by the silver polishing cloth. Ah well. It gives it some dimension, perhaps?
Materials: 20 gauge sterling silver wire, purchased silver finding/cone.



Below is another technique of wire weaving, that I learned during our recent Pennsic trip. It is similar to the necklace in the weaving process, but it is worked quite differently afterward.
Materials: 28 gauge sterling silver wire. This was my first attempt with such a small gauge wire. I like the way the 20 or 22 gauge looks better.
And what a difference in shininess! Dan's necklace was once this shiny...



...And so was my necklace as well (below). I used the same wire as the ring above. The necklace also needs some more polishing, I see now. I did a double weave around one a chopstick that is usually available when ordering Chinese food locally. Too bad the detail isn't better.



I will be listing similar items for sale online very soon. I am attempting to get decent and focused pics of items (these particular items are not for sale however). If anyone is interested, I can send a link to the shop once it's open. Shameless plug, I know and apologize!

6 comments:

  1. A public blog of my hobbies can be found at:
    http://handcraftedbyjen.blogspot.com/

    This adk boy mom one is not listed as public for safety reasons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, Jen! I never realized you were a silver artisan!! I would definitely like that link when it is up & running! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that the term "trichnopoly" sounds alot like a parasite...good thing your stuff doesn't remotely resemble anything so gross!

    Very nice!

    A "shameless plug", yes (& why npt?!), but I'll check it out! BTW I think you may be becomming blog-crazy, WOMAN!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I get it, I'm a little slow this a.m. (drying out from tropical storm Fay, yeah that's my excuse....)one blog public and one blog invite only...so maybe you aren't becoming blog-crazy!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, still a bit blog crazy with so little time on my hands as it is... Two might be a bit much, eh?!

    Are you all powered back up and dried out? Did you use the cocooning at home during Hurricane-then-Tropical-Storm Fay as a honeymoon of sorts?

    What did Sharon think of it all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did Sharon think of the tropical storm, not the honeymoon! lol :)

    ReplyDelete