Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ffr: petty annoyances - for Dan the Man

So when Dan was working at one of his previous retail jobs, a coworker of his would say, "FYI, " with the 'i' drawn out and then a pause before saying the rest of the sentence... (you can picture the nasal quality that come natural to anyone's voice who actually uses the letters fyi in conversation, no? It may be just me then.) Well, anyway, this particular coworker of Dan's used to talk to Dan about 'issues' at work: "FYI, the spot lights should be facing in this fashion, not this way, since gives the display better lighting." or "FYI, you have a break in ten minutes."

Well, me being who I am, and not only in love with my husband, but I love to bug him as much, only in a friendly fasion, mind you... Anyway, since discovering that using the fyi not only make annoys the heck out of my dear husband... Do you think I can control myself? It has been years now. I try to use it only when it would make most sense to. I would not, for example, say, "FYI, the milk is in the refrigerator." But I might say, "FYI, the car is already started to de-ice the windshield." (No, I rarely actually go start the car for him, but today I happened to do that.) This annoys Dan to no end (saying fyi, not starting the car for him!), but at least he smiles about it still. The weird thing -- as if my not only continuing to use the term fyi still after ten years where previously I never said it before isn't weird enough -- but that he probably still thinks of that same young, annoying supervisor still after all these years, too!

SO, again, me being the person that I am, as bugging my husband with one term is just not enough, I have begun to make up my own short cuts for sayings. For example, ffr is short for: for future reference. Yes, it is even more pretentious sounding than fyi, isn't it?

btw (aha another one!) Dan will just LOVE that I have passed along one of the many existing tips and tricks for continuously annoying him, don't ya think?

We'll have to come back around to using 'whilst' in everyday convo. We shant discuss it herein whilst we're discussing abbreviations... :)

4 comments:

  1. You know I love whilst...

    FFR, I'll remember FFR for when I see Dan next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...can anyone say "Office Space". FYI: A classic that shouldn't be missed (even if annoying Jennifer Aniston is in it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ummmm... Yeah..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found my way over here from Gettysburg Mom, and I just had to stop to say - "Shant" is one of my favorite words. I think it should be brought back into popular usage. Do let's be civilized.

    ReplyDelete