Monday, May 18, 2009

addictive versus compulsive

-- and not in the compulsive like attending school until one becomes sixteen years old or anything. I mean like OCD compulsive. How are addictive and compulsive different? Both imply a "can't helping oneself" factor, but each apply it differently towards its meaning. I am thinking in terms of my time and hobbies, let's think it through.

Reevaluating my life a bit recently. Looking at the quite full activity wheel. In other words, how much time do I spend doing what and for what reasons. How can I look at an activity and decide it's enjoyment and value to me? If it is not a chore, is it a hobby?
A blanket statement, albeit, but ok, it's a place to begin and so I'll go with it a bit. Hm, yes. I like to do it. If I like it, then it can't be a chore, right? :)
Well, how much do you like to do it?
Hm (again). That's my answer, as I really have to figure that out. It's a qualitative answer and relative to other activities.
Ok, then. How often do you like to do it?
Hm. As often as possible, I guess. As often as able, having kids around, money for supplies. (Sounding like an economics lesson, at this point, perhaps?)
Ok, let's take a different track, try another delineation: is it for money or pleasure?
Hm, more economics it seems. And for now, it might be more confusing if I try to overlap the two? I do realize that both are possible at the same time, and often enough.
Maybe we're at making a pie chart point. I haven't really made one of those since school!
I could just continue making lists and trees that show activities, time spent, how much enjoyment I get out of it. A journal of sorts, maybe, but not on here. I wouldn't want to bore you too badly - and you wouldn't know it by THIS particular post, eh?!
You already think I am crazy activity, tangent woman, I am sure-- even though I have been remiss in about them posting here. Or too busy, perhaps? :)

Lots going on lately, but it's still the same ole, same ole... How can that be as confusing as it is? Ugh. Must be early mid-life crisis or something. Yah, at 37. I'll look back on this and laugh or maybe not remember it at all...?

Ah, I'm tired. (Or can't you tell?) It's after 3 am, after a loooong weekend at work. My head is just filled with too much... stuff, thoughts, ideas, all of it in my head on and since the drive home. It's really time to read some fluff --but very enjoyable and fun fluff, at that-- until I fall asleep. Where's my book light?

1 comment:

  1. I love when a woman uses the word albeit. It's almost as good as whilst.

    ReplyDelete