Friday, February 6, 2009

What would you call it?

So here in this house there are three boys, but you already knew that, eh? Want something new? OK! There are three boys (not counting husband), two dogs and a rabbit (that roams freely and is litter box trained). Yes, in a 900 sq ft house, but I try not to digress...

Gavin, the youngest human resident in the house, and Sammy, the youngest canine resident in the house, have an interesting relationship. At a very young age, barely above knee height, Gavin had (dare I say it?) issues with the "not brown dog" (his words... translation: the other dog, the black dog, Sammy). And easily, Sammy had (and still has some) issues with Gavin. I liken it to sibling rivalry. Gavin, as a human, and with big encouragement from his parents (also human), was able to overcome the problems of growling and pure, absolute canine jealousy of the big, much older, black dog we still affectionately call Samsam... Needless to say, Gavin had to use a bit of force to show "who's boss" at a very young and relatively short age.

Now, it's years later and Gavin has grown oh-so-much, as he weighs nearly half of the big black dog, at the age of almost-of-seven... But, still, I find that Sammy will block my view if I look at the Gavinator across a room, or even Frodo (the brown dog), and especially the bun, no matter where he may be,.. really, it doesn't matter, he'll stand between me and my view of the rabbit. I truly believe that dogs are WAY smarter than people give them credit for!

And, even still today, if I am holding Gavin - as he still loves to sit on my lap often at differnt times throughout the day, Sammy will actually nose his way in, leaning, nudging, poking, licking, pawing, all kinds of cute stuff that wuld get a perfect stranger who was fearful or hated dogs to give him all kinds of loving attention... I have a new nickname for the lover pup. Sam's effort = hand whore. (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

And a book could be written on the Samsam vs the bun...! But I am not too certain that that counts as sibling rivalry, eh?

3 comments:

  1. Our bunny is not able to be a free range fellow. The two cats keep trying to convince him to come out of the cage and play, but I really don't think it's in Acorn's best interest. When Cady the dog visits, she's definitely on the cats' side of the discussion.

    And sometimes, sometimes Acorn's cage is there to protect her from my husband after a few cocktails. He keeps arguing fresh rabbit would be mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to the caption for your latest blog, Jen: I would call it MADNESS!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am holding Gavin - as he still loves to sit on my lap often at differnt times throughout the day, Sammy will actually nose his way in, leaning, nudging, poking, licking, pawing, all kinds of cute stuff that wuld get a perfect stranger who was fearful or hated dogs to give him all kinds of loving attention... I have a new nickname for the lover pup. Sam's effort = hand whore. (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

    ReplyDelete